Bachelor of Science Data Management/Data Analytics
It’s a big-data world, with big demand for experts in data science—experts who can manage the flow of data, translate it into meaningful insights, and convert information into better business decisions.
You can become one of those highly sought-after specialists when you win the real-world respect and recognition that come with WGU’s online bachelor’s degree in data management and data analytics.
Design and manage database environments. Organize and analyze data. Interpret technical data for different business audiences. Create efficient systems and drive measurable results.
As an experienced IT professional, you don’t need to rehash things you already know—and we won’t waste your time. WGU’s innovative learning model allows you to demonstrate your existing skills and knowledge so you can move quickly through the subjects you’ve already mastered, giving you time to focus on what you still need to learn. Learn more about WGU’s competency-based model here.
Who the Program is For:
- Established IT professionals seeking a bachelor's degree and certifications to advance their career.
- Experienced professionals seeking a broad foundation of IT skills and certifications.
- Individuals who have completed some college coursework or have applicable work experience.
- Individuals planning to continue into master’s-level programs in data analytics, data or IT management, business analysis, MBA, project management, product development.
While you should plan to commit 15 to 20 hours a week to your studies, the degree program is flexible and adaptable to your schedule. Click here to learn how this program works.
What You'll Learn
Essential Knowledge and Skills
WGU’s online B.S. in Data Management/Data Analytics degree is intended to arm you with cutting-edge knowledge, industry certifications, and the skills that employers demand; that’s why we created the program with significant input from the IT leaders and academic experts who serve on our Information Technology Program Council. The program requires completion of project-based courses, supporting courses, and a capstone project — all focused on the role of technology in today’s business environment.
The BSDMDA degree program incorporates a Udacity Nanodegree—another valuable credential recognized by industry leaders, specifically designed to prepare you for a career in data science. You'll benefit from the carefully integrated, project-based curriculum. WGU's BSDMDA is the only degree program in the country that includes a Nanodegree as part of its coursework. (Note: If you have already completed a Udacity Nanodegree in Data Analysis, some degree requirements may be waived. Contact an Enrollment Counselor with any questions.)
This program consists of 121 competency units (CUs, our equivalent to the traditional credit hour), including a capstone project. Many students who begin their program have some IT experience, and students who have taken college courses or received a degree from another university may be able to transfer credits, significantly shortening the time to graduation. An evaluation of your transcripts from prior colleges will be needed to determine whether you will be able to clear any degree requirements.
- Acquire, prepare, analyze, and present data to support decision making
- Protect network assets and sensitive information from unauthorized access
- Detail the different disciplines within information technology and data sciences
- Apply data wrangling methods utilizing a variety of modern tools, technologies, and scripting and programming languages
- Set up database environments
- Manipulate data from structured and non-structured sources
- Identify patterns in datasets
- Communicate technical information clearly to specific audiences
- Explain ethical norms applicable to data management and analysis
Key Subject Areas
These courses will add to your IT and data management credentials:
Network and Security
Scripting and Programming
Business of IT
Core Subject Areas
These are the General Education requirements, which may be cleared through transfer credit:
Critical Thinking and Logic
Introduction to Communication
English Composition I
Survey of United States Constitution and Government
Intermediate and College Algebra
Introduction to Humanities
Introduction to Geography
Introduction to Probability and Statistics
Integrated Physical Sciences
What You’ll Earn
This program incorporates multiple industry-recognized certifications, giving you a competitive advantage in the real-world job market. You will study for and complete the following certification exams at no extra cost:
- CompTIA A+ (Parts 1 and 2)
- CompTIA Network+
- CompTIA Project+
- Oracle Database 12c: SQL Fundamentals
- Oracle Database 12c: Installation and Administration
- CIW Data Analyst
- CIW Site Development Associate
Note: Your current IT certifications may waive some degree requirements. Click here to see which IT certifications may transfer to WGU. Contact an Enrollment Counselor with any questions.
The B.S. in Data Management/Data Analytics program culminates in a capstone project. The capstone project allows you to take what you've learned and showcase your knowledge by solving a significant, real-world business problem.