Master of Science Data Analytics
Big data helps organizations in all industries and sectors forecast trends and solve problems. Data analysts turn information into action. A well-trained expert in data analytics can drive measurable results in performance and productivity—results that will get noticed by leadership.
The demand is intense for highly skilled business intelligence analysts who know their way around data modeling software, systems, and best practices. Claim your leadership role in the limitless world of big data with a Master of Science in Data Analytics.
Who the Program is For:
Do you recognize the power of data to transform the way we do business? Do you revel in turning numbers and statistics into wins for your team? Do you have what it takes to earn a graduate degree in data analytics?
This program might be a great fit for you if you’re an:
- Established professional with a background in programming, analytics, or statistics who wants to boost your skill set and add a master’s degree to your résumé.
- Experienced professional seeking your Oracle SQL Expert, SAS Certified Base Programmer or SAS Certified Statistical Business Analyst certifications.
- IT expert who already has one (or more) of those certifications and wants to put them to use to help you accelerate toward the goal of a master’s degree.
- Alumnus of WGU’s B.S. Data Management/Data Analytics program or another relevant bachelor’s degree from an accredited university.
- Aspiring or current business intelligence analyst, database administrator, software developer, marketing manager or analyst, statistician, financial analyst, information research scientist, etc., whose career will benefit from having a master’s degree.
While you should plan to commit 15 to 20 hours a week to your studies, the degree program is flexible and adaptable to your schedule. Learn how this program works.
We won’t waste your time. As an experienced professional, you don’t need to rehash things you already know. At WGU, you prove your skills and knowledge by passing assessments as soon as you know the subject well—so you can fly through the things you already know from previous experience, accelerate through new material that you are able to learn quickly, and spend most of your time focused on mastering the rest—all adding up to make you a proven expert in data analysis. Learn more about WGU’s competency-based model here.
What You'll Learn
Essential Knowledge and Skills
With your M.S. Data Analytics degree from WGU, you’ll be a data mining, management, mapping, and munging superstar. You’ll move well beyond the fundamentals of data analysis and master the tools and techniques of a true data scientist—including tools like Oracle SQL, R, Python, and SAS.
The WGU master’s degree in Data Analytics was created with significant input from the IT leaders and academic experts who serve on our Information Technology Program Council. This degree program requires completion of project-based courses, supporting courses, and a capstone project—all focused on the role of data technology in today’s business environment.
In addition to earning your master’s degree, while completing this program you will earn your Oracle SQL Expert Certification and two SAS certifications. You’ll learn about programming for business analysis applications, and you’ll become skilled at communicating data through advanced visualization techniques.
This program consists of 32 competency units (CUs, our equivalent to the traditional credit hour), including a capstone project. Students in this program will typically have some background in programming, analytics, or statistics, but need not be experienced in all three. Your program will include real-world projects applicable to your daily work.
- Evaluate phenomena represented in data sets for forecasting trends and solving problems.
- Use industry-standard tools for manipulating and representing data.
- Communicate information and data trends using data visualization techniques.
- Apply industry standards and best practices in data analytics to an organizational decision-making process.
Key Subject Areas
These courses add to your IT and data management credentials:
Statistics for data analysis
Fundamentals of data analytics
Data science tools and techniques
Data mining and analytics
Advanced data visualizations
What You'll Earn
This program incorporates three industry-recognized certifications, giving you a competitive advantage in the real-world job market. You will study for and complete the following certification exams at no extra cost:
- Oracle SQL Expert Certification
- SAS Certified Base Programmer for SAS 9 Credential
- SAS Certified Statistical Business Analyst Using SAS 9
Note: Your IT certifications may waive some degree requirements. Click here to see which IT certifications may transfer to WGU.
The M.S. in Data Analytics program culminates in a capstone project. The capstone project allows you to take what you've learned and showcase your knowledge by solving a significant, real-world business problem.