About WGU Tennessee
The Online University for Tennessee
WGU Tennessee is a nonprofit, online university created to expand access to higher education for Tennessee residents. Established by the state of Tennessee through a partnership with nationally recognized Western Governors University, WGU Tennessee offers more than 50 accredited undergraduate and graduate degree programs in high-demand career fields.
WGU Tennessee offers residents of the state another means to further their education:
- Quality college degree programs for non-traditional students. WGU Tennessee’s challenging online degree programs are accredited, career-relevant, and nationally recognized.
- Affordable tuition. Nonprofit WGU Tennessee's tuition is among the lowest in the state, comparing very favorably to Tennessee's public colleges and universities. Terms are six months long and are charged at a flat rate per term.
- Competency-based learning. Designed to meet the needs of adult learners, this approach allows students to move quickly through materials they have already mastered, enabling them to focus on new learning.
- Flexibility. Students complete courses through mentor-guided independent study, so they can schedule their studies to fit their lives, not the other way around.
- One-on-one support. Faculty members provide individualized mentoring to each student from enrollment through graduation. Based on the National Study of Student Engagement (NSSE), our students report a higher level of student/faculty interaction than students at traditional colleges and universities.
- Superior learning resources. WGU Tennessee students have 24/7 access to online learning modules, electronic textbooks, web-based tutorials, and simulations for each course of study.
- An online community for Tennessee students and access to Western Governors University’s national student community. You'll be able to connect and interact with other students both within Tennessee and from all over the country.
- The University of You. At WGU Tennessee, we believe everyone has the right to earn a college degree. And we believe the path to that degree should be accessible, flexible and affordable. We believe life experience should count for something, independent learning should be celebrated, and focus and determination rewarded. We believe in you. Read more about The University of You.
A Proven Academic Model from a Nationally Recognized University, Customized for Tennessee
WGU Tennessee is the state’s only competency-based university, leveraging an innovative approach to education pioneered by our parent institution, Western Governors University. Western Governors University was founded in 1997 by 19 U.S. governors.
Curriculum, learning resources, faculty mentors, and student services for WGU Tennessee are provided by Western Governors University through its partnership with the State of Tennessee. WGU Tennessee degrees will be granted under the current accreditation of Western Governors University, which is accredited through the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). Teachers college programs are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), and Nursing programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) (One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530, Washington, DC 20036, 202-887-6791).